The Civic Society is keen to see sites of historic interest in the Town Centre identified by plaques. A blue plaque commemorating the rebuilding of Chapel Arches bridge in 1825 was unveiled in August 1996 by the then Mayor of Windsor & Maidenhead, Cllr Ady Sheldon. It was the first of a series of plaques which were to be erected at various sites around the Royal Borough as suggested by local organisations with an interest in local heritage. Chapel Arches was nominated by the Civic Society.
In 1995 the pedestrianisation of part of the High Street near the Bear Hotal brought to light foundations of the early church after which Chapel Arches in named. In 1451 John Norreys and his brothers helped to found a guild based at the chapel. In 1997 the Civic Society provided a commemorative plaque on the site of the chapel, set in the ground in the forecourt in front of the Bear Hotel. The guild's responsibilities included maintaining Maidenhead Bridge. It was the precursor of the Borough Council, and every year the new Mayor still goes in procession from the Town Hall to the present church of SS Andrew & Mary Magdalene for a civic service.